Whenhen we think of perfume, several terms frequently come to mind : eau de Cologne, eau de parfumeau de parfumeau de toilette,perfumes (elixirs) or even perfumed mists ... Most of the time, choosing between an eau de parfum between an eau de parfum or a eau de toilette canMost of the time, choosing between eau de parfum and eau de parfum can be a real dilemma. While some people find it hard to tell the major differences between the two, others have a preference for one or the other.
So what's the difference between eau de parfum and eau de toilette ?
Good to know:
A perfume composition is a blend of different fragrance raw materials to which alcohol or oil and water are added. alcohol or oil and water, but also UV filters and colorants.. To help you understanding, here are the concentration levels of different types of perfume:
- Eau de Cologne: between 5% and 10%.
- eau de toilette : between 10% and 15%.
- Eau de parfum: between 15% and 20%.
- Perfume or extract 20% to 24% (may be higher in luxury houses)
A 15% concentrated fragrance therefore means that it contains 15% perfume concentrate mixed with 85% alcohol or oil and distilled water.
It's also important to remember that the scent of a perfume is diffused in three stages.
These three categories form an olfactory pyramid comprising top notes, middle notes and base notes.
- Top notes are the most volatile part of fragrances. They are the first notes felt after spraying the perfume. They are generally fresh, uplifting notes that evaporate within half an hour to an hour at most.
- Heart notes, on the other hand, unfold over several hours and characterize the main scent of a perfume.
- Base notes are the slowest to evaporate, disappearing after several days.
Did you know? The stronger the top note, the fresher the fragrance. Conversely,the stronger the base note, the more opulent the fragrance!
What is eau de parfum ?
Located between perfume and'eau de toilette, leau de parfum contains 15% to 20% concentrate diluted in alcohol or oil and water.alcohol or oil and water. It is suitable for anyone seeking a fragrance that is neither too strong nor too discreet.
At Panier des Sens, L'Olivier eau de parfum may suit men looking for an eau de parfum combining woody and Mediterranean marine notes. What's more, its elegant packaging is ideal for gift-giving or treating yourself.
What is theeau de toilette ?
While eau de toilette is lighter than perfume, due to its lower concentration (between 10% and 15% extract), it is more than sufficient for scenting. It is characterized as subtle, light and ideal for summer.
Have you ever heard that eaux de toilette doesn 't hold? Beware of preconceived ideas...
Our body odor can cause a reaction with the perfume, modifying the perceived scent.
What's more, overly opulent fragrances are generally not appreciated on hot summer days. In this case, it's best to opt for the freshness of a eau de toilette. They know how to remain discreet while giving you a delicate scent. You don't need to spray the whole bottle to smell good! Placed in the right place,eau de toilette is a highly seductive asset.
The fragrance concentrates in our Eaux de toilette are created by master perfumers in Grasse, the cradle of the world's perfume industry, whose perfume expertise has been recognized by UNESCO. Designed around exceptional raw materials, they are exclusive to the brand. Whether it reminds you of a childhood memory, a trip to Provence or a special moment, choose your favorite fragrance! Orange Blossom, Soothing Provence, Precious Jasmine, Relaxing Lavender... There's something for everyone!
Points of comparison betweeneau de toilette and eau de parfum ?
The main difference between a eau de toilette and an eau de parfum lies in the quantity of perfume concentrate mixed with alcohol or oil and water. An eau de parfum has a more pronounced scent than a eau de toilette, because its extract concentration is higher.
eau de toilette is preferred to eau de parfum for its lightness and discretion, while eau de parfum is preferred for its intensity and power. Indeed, eau de parfum is much more intense than eau de toilette in terms of scent, as it contains a higher concentration of fragrance than eau de toilette.
Good to know: eau de toilette is less expensive because it contains less fragrance than eau de parfum!
Here are a few tips to prolong the life of your eau de toilette or eau de parfum:
To ensure that your eau de toilette or eau de parfum lasts as long as possible, there are a number of tricks you can use:
- Spray your water on the hot spots on your body: wrists, neck, behind the ears, elbows.
- Spray your clothes and hair, paying particular attention to your eyes: at arm's length, draw a triangle with a spray that starts from the head, passes through the left side and ends on the right. Be sure to keep your eyes closed while spraying, and take care not to overspray, or the fragrance may become too heady!
At Panier des Sens, you'll find a wide selection of products in the perfume absolutes collection!
What to remember ?
- Eau de Parfum is perfect for people who like their fragrance to stand out, who are looking for intense, intoxicating, distinctive scents that last for long hours.
- If you are looking for a lighter, more discreet scent, chooseeau de toilette.
- The season can help you make your choice. We prefer a eau de toilette in summer to an eau de parfum in winter!
- At Panier des Sens, find a wide selection of fragrances with perfume absolutes or essential oils: Soothing Provence Relaxing Lavender , Verbena, Orange Blossom, Sea Samphire...
As you can see, there's no right or wrong choice between an eau de parfum or a eau de toilette. Perfume can be likened to an adornment that can be adapted to suit our mood or personality. So you're free to choose between eau de toilette for its subtlety and lightness, or eau de parfum for a strong scent, depending on your mood, the season or your preferences!